Fall is officially here which means that winter is just around the corner! If you have a particularly tall house, it is a great idea to rent an aerial lift for the day and check some of your winter prep chores off your list! Wondering why you would need an aerial lift for some of these tasks? Find out how to prepare for the winter using an aerial lift below!
Second and third story windows can be hard to reach with a regular ladder, so an aerial lift would be perfect for the following:
- Check all of the weather-stripping around windows for leaks to prevent heat loss. You should also replace weather-stripping, if necessary.
- Replace all window screens with storm windows.
- Examine wooden window frames for signs of rot or decay. Repair or replace framing to maintain structural integrity.
- Check for drafts around windows. Caulk inside and out, where necessary, to keep heat from escaping.
- Inspect windows for cracks, broken glass, or gaps. Repair or replace, if needed.
Gutters & Roof
Getting up to your gutters and roof can be difficult, so having a lift on-hand will prove helpful!
- Check gutters and downspouts for proper fitting, and re-secure if it is loose or sagging. Remember that the weight of snow and ice can pull gutters right off the house!
- Make sure all vents and openings are covered to prevent insects, birds or rodents from getting inside to nest in a warm place.
- Check for missing, damaged or warped shingles and replace, as necessary. You don’t want a leak!
- Clean gutters of any debris. Make sure downspouts extend away from the house by at least 5 feet to prevent flooding at the foundation and water damage from snowmelt.
- Check for deteriorated flashing at the chimney, walls, and skylights and around vent pipes. Seal joints where water could penetrate.
The fall and winter months mean less daylight. If you don’t want any falls while carrying in groceries, you will want to make sure all of your outdoor lights are working. If you have burned out lights at the very top of your house, an aerial lift will help immensely when changing out light bulbs!